A trip to remember

When I was younger my mom would always tell me that life is over before you know it and that it would be such a waist if I wouldn’t spend all the time I had doing what I love. I don’t think she ever expected me to actually leave home and live a life solely based on whatever my heart tells me to do. And never had I expected that it would be such a rollercoaster. Don’t get me wrong, I love rollercoasters, but they sometimes scare me as well. And the worst thing is that the good rides are always over before you know it.

And so were our days in Singapore. We flew in business class, and since that doesn’t normally happen in my life, it was a fun experience to get tipsy on vodka before we even got on the plane. We went to Universal Studio and the day after we just chilled at the beach. We had more vodka there and played a couple of games of pool. I looked back and tried to make a short movie in my head of that day, of us looking over the sea and playing pool.

Just like Singapore, every country has it’s own little movie of memories. Spain, where I had my first summer love. We were together for only two days and spent it swimming in the sea and fooling around on the beach. After that I spoke and thought about him for at least another six months, even though I didn’t even know who he was. Germany, where my friend and I slept on a parking lot and ate KFC for days to save money. We would drive around our city for weeks after, just feeling like we were such world travellers. And two nights in England, the street covered with snow and Christmas lights everywhere. For a minute I felt like I was in one of those English movies, but then all at once I was back in Holland again. Time always flies and every time I wish those days lasted just a little longer.

Moments turn into memories in literally a blink of an eye and you will never get that moment back. Seasons change, people leave and life goes on. It almost seems crazy to go for that ride, knowing that a few minutes later you will be back on solid ground wishing you could experience it one more time, even though you’ve already been told that this will be the last ride for the day. But I do it over and over again and at least I know that this ride will stay with me forever, as a memory of us swimming and playing pool, with not a care in the world.